Saturday, October 9

my money's on Dangermouse (II)

So on with the new shows of 2004.

Desperate Housewives: It starts off good, like a female American Beauty, and then you quickly realize that it actually might be a Female american beauty, and then you just don't care. Why did Mary Alice die? I'm not sure I care that much, and I really think the juggling of small drama with big melodrama just doesn't come off for me.

Life As We Know It: Critics have given this one a pretty solid pass, but sorry, this just don't make it for me, at least so far. The pilot seems to have discovered one big truth, that teen guys think about sex. Then they surrounded it with enough hokey TV world nonsense that I couldn't keep a straight face.

The brilliant thing about My So Called Life, the show this show wants to be, is that it didn't either underplay or overplay the high school world. It nailed it perfectly, the hallway culture, the classes, everything.

LAWKI doesn't come close (how many giant carnivals did your high school organize?) and at about show four, when they drop the "talking to the camera" thing, this will be just another boring dramedy that will go the way of american dreams or now and again.

Corner Gas (season 2): Just as fun and smart as last year, next to the simpsons the only show I must watch, not because it will be brilliant but because it'll never be less than totally enjoyable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter