Monday, November 8

i have no title for this post

There is a new PVR. The 8300. It fixes a bunch of the junk that was wrong with the last one, like letting me know how much disk space is still available and also letting me only set recurrent recording for new episodes of shows and not repeats. It also does a bunch of other, for me less neat stuff. It passes through all its signals to hdmi, important only if you have bought a brand new tv in, like the last five minutes. also it's smaller, which I suppose is always nice. It's also 160gb instead of 120, a big improvement in my mind. It doesn't much matter for regular broadcast, but that's about 10 extra hours of HD (on top of a semi skimpy 30 hours) so I'm pleased with that. The main thing isn't set yet, and that's multi-room. That means that the next upgrade is going to make it possible for you to have one PVR and several "satellite" regular cable boxes (read: cheaper) around your house and they'll all network together and talk to each other and share the recorded content.

There's just one problem. I have stuff recorded on my old PVR which I can't get off. When I bring ti back to Rogers to trade in they don't transfer my shows from one PVR to the other, even though both machines have firewire out and in and doing the transfer ought to be possible. This means I either watch TV like mad this week and try to clean off the box or I have to wait forever to upgrade.

There ought to be a better way, and there might be soon, when we actually get the hard drives out of our houses and on to the network where they belong. There are ipTv companies toying around with this right now, just giving you virtual storage for your shows online and accessing it like video on demand. Want more storage? just pay a small increase. Better yet, did you forget to record something and now you've missed it? Just search around. If anyone else recorded it they can sell you access to it for a nominal fee.

Eventually what you'll see is content creation (producers) stay in business, but content delivery (networks) are just gonna be gone. Who's gonna care which channel a show is on when they can practically download it on demand?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter