Sunday, November 21

screen kiss

I was going to launch into a whole rant about how weary I am at having to sit through other people talking in movies and at plays. This wasn't brought on by any specific incident or anything, it just occurred to me while I was watching Cinema Paradiso this morning. Amazingly I have managed to never see this up to now. I wasn't avoiding it, it was just one of the hundreds of great lauded movies on my list of stuff to get around to. That list is long,and frankly embarassing for someone who loves movies as much as I do. There's only so many hours in the day, week or year, and I'm watching as fast as I can. In any case, I digress. The point is that watching a movie about watching movies made me realize what a special experience that can be, when 650 pairs of eyes and ears are all transfixed by the exact same thing, like a moment out of time. I'm sorry because it seems to me unlikely that I'll have too many more of those experiences. People are just unable to give themselves over like that when it's so much more appealing to sit back in judgement of what they're watching. It's one of the main reasons I'm not much of a film reviewer; I find it changes the experience when I have to actively think about what I'm watching while I'm watching it. I'd rather just submit, lose myself for 2 hours and enjoy something a few hundred other people worked their asses off to bring me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter