Tuesday, May 31

Mobiblog

Since yesterday:

Picked up the 2 new Macs. Feels incredibly strange to walk out of a store with more technology than I can literally carry at one time. I had to get help from the guy, and when I got home I had to leave the scanner in the car.

Got home. Skipped on dinner, went straight to backing up the current machine. Cloned the drive on our old machine to our external. While that was happening, set up the Airport network, figured out a problem with the phone, set up the laptop, got connected to wireless internet, found both printers (wireless printing is just way sexier than it ought to be) and started charging the first battery. Used the external to start moving all my files to the laptop, using setup assistant.

Went to poker. sucked like never before. didn't care. couldn't wait to come home and keep working. Leah was working away, appropriating the internet connection away from the wireless base. Decided to pass the time by unpacking the main machine. got my first look at Tiger. Got the internet back. Updated all programs and systems on the laptop. Successfully paired the wireless keyboard and mouse with the 20 inch. Started installing Office: 2004 and virtual PC on the laptop. hooked the external to the imac. transferred Leah's stuff, took about 1 hour. after 5 minutes realized that this was a waste of time, since I still hadn't partitioned the drive on the imac yet. let it finish while I took care of the microsoft installs. Did my first ever Windows XP install.

Partitioned the drive, reinstalled the system. Updated everything. Charged the 2nd laptop battery. Hooked the external back up, ran setup assistant. another hour. Started transferring the 15 gigs of music I have lying around waiting for these upgrades. Finished the transfer on the imac. Decided to back up the laptop to the big machine. Tried over the network, best I could manage was a disk image, not a full file transfer. decided to use firewire target disk mode. Purposely didn't leave the laptop plugged in, so that the battery could drain and calibrate. Got the wrong machine in target mode. switched everything around (the source machine should be running and controlling everything, not the target) got the backup going, realized it was going to take upwards of 2 hours, watched a little of the TRON dvd to pass the time, didn't want to fall asleep and have max wake up and accidentally break something, decided to sleep next to the machines on the couch.

Got about an hour of sleep, on and off. Backup finally finished around 5:30 am. Moved everything out of max's way, put the laptop to sleep, put myself to sleep.

Whew, I fucking love my life right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter