Wednesday, February 23

a lot deeper than I originally thought

So just to get the news out of the way, I came through the wisdom teeth removal machine with hardly a scratch. 6 days later I'm nearly done with the antibiotics, and all that's left is a two minute recheck with the dentist Thursday night.

Some observations:

1) The gas, it does nothing. Even though I'm only paying about 20% of the cost after the insurance kicks in the rest, I don't think it was worth it. NOS just ain't my drug. I'm inaccessible to the chemical high at the best of times, with very little of the (admittedly limited) experimentation I have undergone ever resulting in what could charitably be called a high. In any case, N20 has zero effect. I keep forgetting to breathe through my nose anyways.

2) I am not freaked out by being in a dentists chair. Actually there's a certain enjoyment when I'm in there, similar to the lovely feeling of the barber's chair or being measured for something. Not sexual exactly, but really really close. (I reiterate - NOT SEXUAL. Different from sexual. Please don't start in with the silly comments.)

3) I love when after everything is half frozen, they basically sit on top of you, brace their knee on your chest and heave the novocaine in your mouth like they're tightening a lug nut. There's something enjoyable about seeing someone work that hard to make sure I won't feel a thing.

I recuperated by watching the Matrix box set, almost all 36 hours of it. I recommend this, it's quite a ride if you can clear your schedule. My critical perception has shifted several times over the four days, and it really does seem possible that any subsequent viewings can only get richer and more satisfying. My bold prediction: That this will, when viewed properly as one large 8 hour work (including the Animatrix shorts) be regarded as one of the best science fiction stories ever put on film. A generation from now, long after the critics of the day have faded into silence, college kids will be watching the matrix and talking about it.

I have crawled almost all the way back out of the rabbit hole now, and only the monster Lord of the Rings day still awaits me, beckoning like a silent behemoth from the shelf, taunting me with its weight and volume.

1 Comments:

Blogger BACH said...

Long live the Matrix!
I watched all the movies and most of the extras over christmas, (including both commentaries) and I have to say that they really are meant to been seen consecutively, and make much more sense that way. One can disagree with what the movies are saying, but anyone who just says they're bad, is clearly a moron!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter