Friday, March 4

moritamankeymumonium

Cool. I just made up a word. Its meaning? It's an imaginary musical instrument that sounds like a great ape applauding a memory play.

I am going through the Memento DVD. I think partly because this week on Jeopardy's big super ultra playoff championship (something has to replace the hockey) I saw one of those annoying "guest readers" describe a keepsake as a "momento". It's nice when you're smarter than the writers of the quiz show. A little like the feeling I'd get if the answer to one of the questions was "What is a Moop, Alex?"

I'm watching Memento forwards right now. This is one of the extras you can access with special codes off of disc 2. I wasn't ever planning to do this, but then I watched the commentary, and then I decided to do it anyways. Know what? Play the movie in its regular "backwards" incarnation and it's a story about Leonard. Play it in its crazy forwards version, and Teddy turns out to be the main character. He's way easier to identify with, since he doesn't keep losing his place every minute or two. Plus his motivations are a lot clearer.

One quibble; In the forwards re-edit they didn't bother removing the scene overlaps that end every section to re-orient the audience. So scenes end, then come up from black and just repeat themselves for a second. You can argue the artistic merit of this but given that no one will ever watch this version first I would have just taken them out and edited everything without seams.

One final thought on the whole Matrix craziness: I don't know nearly enough about philosophy. If I did, I'd know that John Locke and Rousseau were both concerned (along with Hobbes) with a philosophical movement called The State of Nature. It tried to imagine "The state of man as it would be if there were no political organisation or government ... as a criterion of what man's natural condition might be and as to what extent the condition has been spoilt or corrupted by civilisation." Sound like any shows we've been watching?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter