Tuesday, August 9

Total Recol (dot CA!)

I just checked my junk mail account, and there's a version of the Nigerian Scam in my inbox. A rather crude and badly worded version at that. I'm not exactly sure who it is that's the target audience for this anymore. Are there still people out there who are smart enough to get email, yet simultaneously dumb enough to fall for this?

In any case I decided to do my civic duty and try to forward this thing to the proper authorities. After about two or three google searches I came away with www.recol.ca, the RCMP's online crime reporting page (is it me, or is that cool in and of itself?) Reporting Economic Crime On Line. Dot CA. Except that when I tried to get past the splash page, I got a security warning. The RCMP let their security certificate for their own online crime site expire 2 weeks ago. Which means that the site itself could be a phishing operation. It certainly asked me to register all of my personal information before reporting any fraud. Like I'm gonna be that stupid.

Can someone call Alannis Morissette? I think she might want to add a verse to that song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter