Friday, January 14

scones, baby.

I'm preparing for an upcoming birthday party by attempting to make all the food myself. This after having to storm off to the bedroom last night when I couldn't get a chicken stir fry to work out the way I wanted. I actually managed to ruin both the stirfry itself and the rice to go with it. Which wouldn't be so bad, except that everything I did wrong was something I would've lectured someone else about had I observed them making the exact same mistakes. I crowded the pan, primarily. Not once, but 3 times. This turned my stir fry into a stir boil. You know, Leah ate it, so did Max, and they attested that it tasted fine. And I'm sure it did. Still didn't make up for the fact that I kacked it royal. I didn't eat dinner last night, mostly to help reinforce my self-disgust at failing to prepare something made routinely in bachelor apartments by people who find kraft dinner a challenge.

No matter how much I cook I'll never have any confidence because of incidents like this one. This sucks, mostly because I love to eat. Worse yet, on occasion I am able to get a few nice dishes together, often for company. Like at this party coming up, I'm sure I'll do a reasonably good job with scones, tea and little sandwiches. And invariably someone, by way of paying me a compliment, will proffer "This is really good. You should open a restaurant." Um... not to sound ungrateful, but fuck off in advance. Being able to feed 40 people a snack with about 10 hours to prepare does not make me ready to open a restaurant. It barely qualifies me to eat in one. Blowing your comment out of all proportion ain't praise, it's an annoyance.

Wow. Bilious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter