Monday, April 18

half naked, yelling, angry under-medicated santa

A basically good weekend. We finally reached completion on the big super secret (which I am sure everyone already knows about, but all I'm asking is for them to pretend to be surprised.) It looks about 10-15 times better than I could have ever hoped, with almost every component I bought being both the right shape and size. I love it when a plan comes together. After this is all over I'll post a picture and maybe even follow Matt's lead and have a contest to give it away.

Took a nice walk through the Rouge River Valley on Sunday. I wanted more of a hike, but I'll take what I can get. Then we went to yorkdale to get the inside of the car cleaned out, and walked around checking out the changes to the mall. You have to hand it to yorkdale, man, they do not give up. The Eaton's store closes, and they spend the dollars to really up the ante there. It's impressive for sure. The apple store is still being constructed, but I did peek through a crack in the hoarding. It's not a flagship store, by any means, so there's still hope for something downtown.

What really surprises me is how sharp my recollection of the various stages of yorkdale development really is. I worked there in the eighties and nineties, and my mother worked there in various guises before me. Walking around I can pretty much pick out every major and minor update, what stores have moved, what used to be there (remember the Kresges?) and all the other things, too. I remember all three of the movie theatre incarnations. I remember when they put the first addition on, when the micro cooking store (my first real job) moved from beside the theatres and food court around to where ditinctive gifts is now. I remember the Pro Hardware, the Dominion, and by god I remember the buffet upstairs at Eaton's. I miss the ambrosia and stringy roast beef, man. and the little roasted potatoes... oh god, I'm tearing up here.

I saw Batman on opening weekend at Yorkdale, and I also saw Raising Arizona there. I got my bike stolen there. I worked there 3 different times. I won a spelling bee. Ate my first whistle dog. I'd love to say I lost my virginity, but you can't have everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter