Tuesday, December 14

salt peanuts



I'm preparing my annual latke making excursion, this time at Jason's before poker. That's good, as this week promises to be an intimate affair, meaning more latkes for us. It's amazing how much experimentation can go on in a recipe with only 7 ingredients.

What kind of potatoes to use? Peeled or unpeeled? Wrung out, or just patted dry? rinsed in water or just left with starch on?

What kind of onion? How finely chopped? how much?

Salt before or salt after? Pepper? White or Black?

Matzo meal or flour? Baking soda? (sometimes yes, sometimes no)

What kind of oil? How hot?

For myself, I use Yukon Golds rinsed and wrung out lightly, a sweet onion chopped very fine, salt before and after, black pepper, matzo meal (just enough to stop it from being runny) no baking soda, and peanut oil hot but not smoking.

You see, it ain't easy. Comment with your latke tricks and tips, fellow israelites!

1 Comments:

Blogger Urban Faery said...

I use the cheapest potatoes I can get (this year they were from PEI), grated,
white cooking onion also grated,
one egg,
flour (you can't get matzo meal in Goo-loph)
I let it sit for ten minutes and then smoosh the excess liquid away and down the sink
black pepper
vegetable oil
hot enough to fry 'em fast

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter