Saturday, April 23

linez

Here's what I had to say about the trip to Indy, whilst it was on:

So here's the news from the front: This has been a hella trip so far, and it only gets darker before it gets lighter. Here's how it's gone down. We left Wednesday night, a time that seems like a year ago to me now. My plan was to wake up really early Wed morning, so I was up from 2:30 am. I wanted to make sure I was good and tired by the time I finished work at 3 so that I could nap at home for at least 4 hours before we left. Cut to me tossing like a salad in the bed from 3:30 to 5 and getting basically no rest. Than we left for the big show and drove until 8 am to be in Indy and go to the hotel. Except that the hotel was closed, and we suddenly realized that we were now on central time and it was 7am, which was weird because nothing else in this band is central time.

That was as far as I got on Jason's super tiny laptop before it became clear that I will never own anything labeled "sub-notebook" in my life. Matt may have the fortitude and tiny, ladylike fingers to make his way on that thing, but I had to stop before I actually chucked it in the toilet to alleviate my miskeying frustration. So back to the what was happening, which I'll attempt to keep in the present tense right up til the end.

We discovered that Indiana doesn't believe in daylight savings time. As a result, we are screwed coming home by an extra hour when we can least afford it. The only thing to do was go find the convention center and get the lay of things. Thank god for that, because there were already about 3-5000 people waiting to get in. At Noon. First we had to wait in the will call to actually be allowed to line up to get in. I hiked over to the hotel across the way and got starbucks for everyone. (side note: Chantico? What the fuck is wrong with you people. Eat a chocolate bar) Jason passed out in the corner, our first casualty. By this point I had been awake for more than 30 hours, and the day was just starting. After that it was past ten, and time to get into the really big line. Which was supposedly going in at noon. At 12:30 we hiked out to get some lunch at one of these goyishe bagel places that has the blueberry bagels and the bacon on everything. We came back, and walked past what had now become a truly impressive group of people. I'm guessing that this was over a mile of lineup, about 3 people wide on average, so like 10,000 to 15,000 people. On a thursday morning.

The lines were being controlled with this orwellian metal locking system that was erected at crotch height and was consistently soaking wet, making for some fantastic feelings when traversing a series (more on this later). At about 2:30 we got inside and got into our next line, to go to the store and buy our exclusive stuff that can't be found anywhere but at the show, and of course on ebay. My intention all along was to finance my trip by reselling this stuff, but by 3:15 it was clear we weren't going to be buying anything this day. We went to see Warwick Davis show us his home movies from Return of the Jedi. Then I'm not sure what happened, but I know that at some point in the next hour it was decided that we should go back to the hotel, which is where we are now. Pizza has been ordered and eaten (and at 6:30, after you've been up and either working, driving or queing for more than 2 straight days pizza tastes pretty unbelievably good) and I have accidentally (emphasis on dentally) allowed Matt to brush his teeth with my cortisone cream. Which I managed to pack instead of toothpaste. Matt says his mouth is very tingly.

More about this whole trip when i return, and have rested and taken a suitable blogging break.

which I did

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES!! Yes yes yes yes!

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter