Monday, May 2

may is chocolate month at tim hortons

I'm back, and somewhat rested.

The rest of the convention was really excellent once i got a few hours of sleep under my belt. Here's what we did for the next three days:

1) we got our action figures. In a stunning move of bold brilliance, Jason came up with the idea of pooling our four per person allotment into one group of 16 figs, thus allowing us to acquire a (dunt da da da!)sealed box of 12 figures. Which were listed on ebay that night, and sold within 2 days. and shipped before we left the country (by the nicest and most competent kinko's employee that may have ever lived)

2) i bought Max a couple more figures (real cheap old school figures, but they do the trick), got him a free comic book, and a wicked cool lego scout walker. Now he can have luke and han fight vader with light sabres, and use the scout walker to provide cover fire.

3) The people behind the counter in Indianapolis (with the exception of the coffee nazi at the convention center starbucks) were beyond great. I have never met such an unrelentingly friendly and nice group of folks.

4) GenCon, the organizers of the four days, were really unprepared and caught off guard. Lots of lines, no real system and a general lack of planning added lots of unnecessary stress to my weekend. Also some joy, as their bungling of the massive George Lucas lineup led to my compatriots and I jumping ahead of about 9,000 other fans to nearly the front of the line. Everything was set up for maximum frustration and we were all given plenty of time to stew over it.

5) it got so bad that by the last day, when I was climbing over, under and through those flipping metal barriers for the last time I just gave up, hulked out and in what was apparently the funniest thing ever seen picked up a barrier and chucked it across an empty expanse of sidewalk. The thing flew about 25 feet, and landed with an insanely satisfying clang. I'm pretty sure that half the assembled crowd loved me and half were very, very afraid of me.

6) My super secret project was completed and made it most of the way through the trip. I built a full size replica of Artoo's head, fastened with magnets to the top of the volvo to look like he was my droid co-pilot. I drove with him on the roof to pick everyone up, then we stowed him in the back with the bags, and on our last day there we drove around indianapolis with him until he was caught in a gust of wind and "we lost artoo." I prefer to think of him still lying there, on Meridian avenue, as cars weave past his fragile little domed head.

7) We got to watch Jason and his new found lego buddies demolish, and I mean cream like corn the competition in the big lego star wars build off. go see the sharknet website for a picture of what he won, but let me tell you, it was impressive.

8) I have seen what few at this point have seen, and that is an actual 3 minutes from Episode III. there is no way to accurately judge the movie based on what I've seen (and out of the more than 40,000 people who attended Celebration, less than 2% of us have seen this) but let me tell you, this looks DAMN GOOD. scary good. I was drawn into this sequence in a way that I haven't been since Return of the Jedi. I am much more excited about this movie than I was when I went on this trip, and that is a very very good thing indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter