Sunday, November 6

the things i've done.... you have no idea

Friday marked ten years since I met my wife. I met her at a party. Well, actually she met me at a party, since I spent the entire thing coming on to someone else. I've spent the past couple of days trying to figure out exactly how to express the significance of our meeting like that, how to let her know how much I owe her. It's not easy, but I think what I'll do is put together several little instances that could have gone either way, and thanks to the best thing that ever happened to me I made the right choice every time.

Right after we met I got fired. I worked for what turned out to be a real jerk who without warning had just walked in one night around closing and relieved me of my keys to the store. I phoned Leah, crying, and let her know that I wasn't going to be working there any more. We had been going out for only about 2 months. She said later that she thought hard about leaving me that night. She didn't. She pushed me by making absolutely clear that she would leave if I didn't get another job tout de suite. She lit a fire under my ass on that front. I had just come off of six months of unemployment insurance and credit card debt when I got that job, and having lost it if I had been single I probably would have just wallowed for at least a couple of months.

It was clear that this was not going to be an option.

I wound up working at Bonanza Video, perhaps the turning point in my career. I learned more and had more fun than I have ever had in any other job. I attained minor neighborhood celebrity status, got a regular TV gig, got into ACTRA, and talked movies with David Cronenberg amongst others. I never would have pushed so hard, and frankly that was just the first of about a hundred times that Leah's design skills made my resumé stand out enough to get the job in the first place.

Next I'll explain how I couldn't have become a magazine editor without her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter