Tuesday, May 3

stress

I walked in this morning, on a day that was sure to be tough. Let me 'splain. My company, the one I work for, is getting a divorce. It's a partnership and for a variety of reasons the partners have decided to got their separate ways. Which is fine and in the long run probably better for me. I've got lots of new responsibilities, starting today. The first thing is I have to make sure that we reinstall our point of sale software on all of our machines. PeeCees, to be exact. I suck at these, and I am the one making sure that we put in a software VPN, the POS, and some background sequel server stuff. Don't ask me what I just said, I have no fucking clue. So I follow the emailed instructions I have, and after about 3 hours I finally have everything working, on one machine. Then I fan out and start calling our other two locations, getting them set up, replicating what I just did. Except the one store doesn't even have winzip installed on his machine and can't uncompress the programs to install them.

Also, now that the programs are installed I need to be upgraded to administrator status on the POS so that I can start learning about how to take care of it. I could go into more detail, but let's just leave it at the fact that I will be overseeing making sure that we, the company, get paid correctly for our work, and that we, the employees, get paid correctly for our work. It's a lot of niggling detail. It's what makes this all better for me, since I think more responsibility makes me harder to get rid of. But it's a shitter of a learning curve. I'm staring straight uphill.

Also, orders and other general business keep on happening. I sold four internet connects today, a new cell phone and helped another few folks with their various questions and concerns. All the normal part of my day.

And I'm buying new computers. Two of them. Apple just gave the imac a kick ass update, basically killing the specs over the previous model and saving me about $600 in the process. Plus we're gettin' a powerbook so I can work at the same time as leah, and so we can have something when we travel. So I'm understandably excited and my adrenaline is up, the way it always is when something extremely expensive and good is just around the corner.

And I look after repairs for the company. That means when people bring their malfunctioning phones in for repair I facilitate sending them to the correct service centre, loaning out a temp phone for them to use and tracking the repair and any charges and approvals through the system. I keep a spreadsheet that let's me record everything in case the whole thing crashes. I completely depend on that thing, and it's safe on my work computer.

Today, it was erased. Gone. I am completely fucked.

I was so upset Leah thought I had lost my job when she called and I couldn't talk to her. I had to call back and assure her that in fact I am just stressed out of my mind, not fired.

We're trying to undelete the file. and it's not working. and I'm going home, and starting again tomorrow.

And I haven't even told you how I lost my babysitting for tommorow night and had to cancel going to see Raiders of the Lost Ark: the adaptation, and then gave the ticket to Jason, and then my brother came through with the babysitting and I had to call Jason back and take the ticket away again, one of the shittier transactions I've undertaken in a while.

get me out of here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares Site Meter